The Department of General Surgery deals with a range of surgical ailments and emergencies. Well trained surgeons in our hospital deal with complex abdominal surgeries and trauma cases. Most abdominal surgeries are performed through laparoscopy (keyhole surgery). Backing this team of highly skilled surgeons are trained nurses and technicians, and state-of-the-art operation theatres equipped with the latest technology. All surgical emergencies are first assessed in department of emergency and later operated if required. Well equipped HDU (High Dependency Units) and ICUs help in better post operative management.
Laparoscopic / G I Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery is performed through small incisions. A telescope with a video camera inserted through one incision provides visualization of the operation on a TV monitor. Surgical instruments are then passed through additional small incisions, and the entire operation takes place completely within the patient’s body. When the telescope is used to operate on the abdomen, the procedure is called laparoscopy. When used in the chest, the procedure is called thoracoscopy.
For those who are looking for reconstructive surgery due to a congenital condition, or recovery from the after effect of surgery or trauma, our Department of Plastic Surgery at Yenepoya Specialty hospital offers innovative treatments delivered with compassionate care. Whether you are seeking to address issues arising from cancer, traumatic head injuries or conditions such as cleft lip and palate, we have specialists who can help improve function, mobility, appearance and overall quality of life. Our surgeons who are specialized in the most advanced reconstructive transplant procedures treat both adults and children.
Neurological surgery, is the medical specialty concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, surgical treatment, and rehabilitation of disorders which affect any portion of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and extra-cranial cerebrovascular system.
At Yenepoya Specialty Hospital we offer treatments for cervical, thoracic and lumbar spinal conditions and disorders.
Cervical spine treatments include:
- Percutaneous endoscopic cervical discectomy
- Interior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Anterior cervical foraminotomy
- We also offer thoracic treatments, including open thoracic microdiscectomy, percutaneous endoscopic thoracic discectomy, thorascopic discectomy and thoracic corpectomy and fusion. Lumbar spine treatments include Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy
- Posterior lumbar inter body fusion
- Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar for aminoplasty
- Anterior lumbar inter body fusion. The facility also performs total disc replacement and other spinal surgical procedures
Department of Pediatric Surgery at Yenepoya Specialty Hospital fosters the needs of surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
Common pediatric diseases that are treated under Department of Pediatric Surgery include:
- Congenital Malformations: lymphangioma, cleft lip and palate, esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula, hypertrophic pyloric stenosis, intestinal atresia, necrotizing enterocolitis, meconium plugs, Hirschsprung’s disease, imperforate anus, undescended testes.
- Abdominal all Defects: omphalocele, gastroschisis, hernias.
- Chest Wall Deformities: pectus excavatum.
- Childhood Tumors: like neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumor, rhabdomyosarcoma, ATRT, liver tumors, teratomas.
- Separation of Conjoined twins.
Minimal Access Surgery
Also known as minimally invasive surgery is a surgical procedure done in a manner that causes little or no trauma or injury to the patient, such as through a cannula using lasers, endoscopes, or laparoscopes; compared with other procedures, those in this category involve less bleeding, smaller amounts of anesthesia, less pain, and minimal scarring.